Our Success Story
Considered to be one of the finest brick and brownstone buildings in the city of Newport, RI, 528 Thames Street has had a long history of entertaining both locals and visitors. Built in 1895, the building was originally constructed as a liquor store/brewery and a private function hall. Outside, the slanted roof was designed to collect water and bring it to the cistern in the basement of the building to help with the brewery operations.
Proprietor Ernst Voigt started the long-standing tradition of treating his customers right, and would often give complimentary meals to his good clients at the restaurant. His brewery within the building made its rounds delivering Weiss Beer to Newport, Rhode Island residents on Clydesdale horses, on loan from the stables at the mansions on Bellevue Avenue.
In the 1940’s, McGee’s Pub took over operations and ran the establishment as a local speakeasy and tavern until 1982. Then the building was purchased by Murray Davis, the founder of Cruising World Magazine in the 1980’s. Davis named the establishment Cafe Zelda, after F. Scott Fitzgerald’s wife and her influence in creating the roaring 20’s lifestyle. In 1986, current owners Tom & Roxanne Callahan purchased the building and the business from Davis. Today they continue the 100-year-old tradition of serving quality seafood and steaks to restaurant customers in a lively and inviting atmosphere in the heart of downtown Newport, RI.
Cafe Zelda is also the Storm Trysail Club Newport Station. We are proud to be active in our community and involved with such worthy causes as: Days of Taste, Leukemia Cup, Taste of Newport, YMCA Summer Camps, The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center and countless golf tournaments.